When Royal Melbourne Golf Club moved to Black Rock it disposed of the land it had occupied in Sandringham. Sandringham City Council bought two paddocks in 1932 where RMGC had four holes and the Council established a nine-hole course to the design of Vernon Morcom. This course had a par of 35 and a length of about 2500 meters. When one played an 18 hole round, the electric tramway in Bluff Road had to be crossed four times.
The Sandringham Golf Club was formed in 1937 by Messrs. L.G. McDonald, J.C. Larkins, J.C. Goudie and some of the other regular players of the day. In 1945 the Council bought the land of the present course and built what is now the back nine again to Morcom's design. Par was 35, length was 2850 meters and play began in 1946 with entry from Tulip Street and play beginning on what is now the 16th tee. In 1951, holes 3, 4 and 5 were added to make a 12-hole layout of par 46 and about 3680 meters length. In 1956 the final six holes were added making a par 70 course of 5620 meters also to the design of Vernon Morcom. Some changes to holes 13 to 16 were made in the 1990's to produce the course we see today.